[TowerTalk] Mismatch Loss and Tuners

w8ji.tom w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com
Fri, 04 Sep 1998 08:27:48 -0400

> Amen Steve! It is also interesting to contemplate what happens on the
> receive side. The 20:1 SWR doesn't do any good for the receive signal
> either.
>
> 73, Steve Thomas, N6ST

........and since HF receive S/N ratio is almost always determined by
antenna directivity and the ratio of noise to signal OUTSIDE the antenna
and feedline, it often doesn't hurt either.

Of course if you have a real crummy receiver with poor sensitivity,
mismatch between the antenna and feedline or feedline and receiver (the
load sets the system SWR, in the case of receiving the receiver determines
line SWR because the antenna is the source)--- antenna to feedline mismatch
or feedline to receiver mismatch could hurt reception.

In critical receiving systems, I sometimes intentionally mismatch things to
improve performance.

73 Tom