[TowerTalk] Problem with Phillystran Big Grips...advice?

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 09:11:58 EDT

In a message dated 98-09-07 22:43:37 EDT, n6cr@ix.netcom.com writes:

> What have you Philly users done about this problem?  Bend the ends of
>  the wrap out away from the Philly?  Used a Dremmel tool to cut about
>  1/2 to 1 inch of the end of the wrap away?  Let the wrap ends just bite
>  into the jacket?

       I wouldn't do anything except install them per the factory
instructions. The jacket doesn't have much inherent strength and therefore the
load is mostly compressive with the weight-bearing on the kevlar fibers. The
job of the jacket is provide UV protection to the inner fibers. The fact that
the strand ends dig into the jacket isn't fatal. Making hip-pocket engineering
decisions MAY be.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Champion Radio Products
http://www.championradio.com