[TowerTalk] Running Cables Into Shack

James P. Cassidy 107770.3462@compuserve.com
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 00:46:15 -0400

Since many have suggested running wires down the wall, I thought I would
add some dieas as to how to do it easily.  I have been doing this in mky
job for about 15 years.
First, drill the hole in the wall top header, probe down with a stiff wire
or rod to make sure there is not a fireblock  between studs that would keep
you from dropping down to wall outlet height.  You will neeed to locate the
position for the hole in the wall to match the hole in the header.
Sometimes if theres no insulation you an actually look down the hole if its
big enough.  If there is no insulation, a string with a weight , like a
fishing weight or maybe a large steel nut will drop down in and can be
easily retrieved at a wall outlet size hole.  If there is insulation, you
will have to use a stiff rod to puch down, this can be hard to find in the
insulation, also 2 people make it a lot easier.

Another really good trick if there is insulation is to make the hole in the
header large enough for a plumb bob, the plumb bob will drop vertically
down thru the insulation.  You have to lift it and drop several times to
get it to the bottom of the wall.

The caddy MP-1 as described by Jim Smith is a great way to go.  It provides
a metal plate hidden by a regular wall plate. They also come in double
gang.  There are also electrical boxes that will go in from the room side
of the wall and support themselves inside the wall.  You would probably
have to cut out the back portion of the box to run many cables thru them.

If you have any questions, ask by email.

73 Jim KI7Y