[TowerTalk] Beam Stuck*&%^*#@*

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 15:59:07 EDT

<< I'll climb any crankup that
 I have
 >blocked. I've climbed nearly fully extended towers, with similar
 problems.
 >The key is to NEVER place your hands and feet, or fall
 restraints into the
 >bracing far enough to lose body parts, or lanyards,  if the
 cable lets go.

 Huh?

 You are up on the second or third section of a crankup....the
 cable lets go.  What the hell good is it going to do you at all
 to have your hands, fingers, feet, and toes OUTSIDE the tower
 rungs while the section you are on has a section plummeting
 inside and as your section plummets towards the outer base
 section?  Where are your hands and feet, then? >>

     The operative word is "blocked". Neither of us would climb a crank-up
tower that was NOT properly blocked. The blocking consists of substantial
pieces of pipe or wood inserted through the tower rungs and under the bottom
of each telescoping section. Then the tower is gently lowered until the weight
is on the blocking materials. Then you have the weight on the tower sections
and not the cables (mostly) plus in case of a cable failure, the section(s)
will only drop an inch or two at the most. This, combined with climbing with
your fingers and toes out of the plane of possible dropping sections gives me
an acceptable level of risk exposure.

      This is a potentially dangerous activity. Do not attempt it without the
proper equipment, experience and attitude.

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech