[TowerTalk] Crank Up towers

Dave dlhough@vegas.infi.net
Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:26:40 -0700

> I recently obtained a Cushcraft X7 beam.

> One-Is there a distinct advantage between a 55 ft vs 72 foot tower?

	I use an X7. You're going to like it a lot. There are a few tips worth
passing along on putting it together that aren't in the sheets. Check
GM4NHI Homepage for his review on the X-7, really worth reading.

	The X7 specs. call for a tower to be 1 wavelength high (20 meters is
about 66 feet) but we use only about 50 feet and have no trouble inspite
of some of the worst ground conductivity in the world.

> Two-Would the TX series (either -55 or-72) be adaquate or would the extra
> expence of the HDX series be worth it?

	We use a Universal aluminum tower. But it's a reasonable thing to do
because the X7 is the only beam hanging on it. We guyed the tower as an
added precaution. The aluminum tower is light, strong and easy to erect.
Me, my neighbor and his boys walked it up no sweat. We used a crane to
set the X7 onto the "boom shelf". Cushcraft really came up with a
terrific idea on that boom shelf. The crane was the best 75 buck
investment ever made. We were so happy we even gave the operator a 25
buck toke.

	Gud luck.

73
Dave, KC7DM