[TowerTalk] 40 meter beam height

Ragnar Otterstad otterstad@inet.uni2.dk
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 09:51:51 +0200

: >The 40 M beam just begins to "work" at 100 feet and will work better at
125
: >ft.
: Disagree.  I had a 402CD at 85' that worked GREAT.  N4RJ's 40 meter yagis
: were 90' and I would stack his 40m signal against anyone's.
: I would say 75' is where the 40 meter beam starts to "work".  But if you
: can get it higher... do it.

With respect, this is rubbish:   Every antenna  " works". The question is
how effectiv it is.
When I first put up a beam on 40 ( 402CD) it usually was up at 20 meters.
As we had a periode with heavy winds I took it down to 12 meters. One
morning I worked a ZL long path at that height and asked him to give me a
comparative report at extended height.  It turned out to be about 1 S-unit.
FYI

73  Rag   OZ8RO