[TowerTalk] Mast alignment was:refurbish a Thrust bearing?

Barry Kutner w2up@mindspring.com
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 09:53:21 +0000

On 15 Sep 98, Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com> wrote:

> Ah, now I understand.  The bolt is backed out unless and until you need to
> remove the rotator.  No reason in the world you'd need to have it even in
> the hole except to protect the threads from crud.  The pointy top has at
> least 1/8 inch slop with my Rohn mast.

Though I've never used the pointy top, I'd be wary of using the set
bolt with a long mast sticking out the top. Don't forget how top heavy
the mast is. Remove the rotor, and the mast will want to fall
over. It will be limited by the mast INSIDE the tower banging against
the tower wall, but perhaps there will be enough force to bend your
pointy top tube?
Also, won't the friction from rotating the mast eventually rub off the
galvanizing from both the mast and the inside of the tower tube,
permitting them to rust?
73 Barry
--
Barry Kutner, W2UP                            Internet: w2up@mindspring.com
Newtown, PA                                   Frankford Radio Club