[TowerTalk] Coax identity HELP

henrypol2@juno.com henrypol2@juno.com
Sat, 26 Sep 1998 12:07:25 -0400

Dear TowerTalkians,

I have just come across several hunderd feet of some 1/2 inch coax that I
can not identify.  Your help is needed.

The outside jacket is a single layer of black plastic(?) that snugly fits
into a PL259 connector.  The brand marked on the jacket is "Comscope".
The only other markings is an old-stlye telephone handset near the brand
name.  These markings appear every foot.  The braid shield is apparently
aluminum with about 50-75% coverage over an aluminum foil shield.  There
is a "sticky" material similar to the glue in a glue-stick all over the
braid and outside surface of the foil shield.  I assume that this is the
substance to prevent moisture from getting inside.  The center dielectric
is a white dense foam material.  The center conductor is apparently a 14
gauge copper coated stiff alloy.  The connectors are some type of F
connector, with the marking AUGAT LPC*SNS11.

I am assuming that this is 75 ohm cable; however, I am most interested in
the loss characteristics for possible use in moving my satellite TV dish
away from my ham antennas.  On the other hand, if it is good for 100-150
watts HF RF power, I may use some for ham antennas also.

73,
Henry Pollock - K4TMC
Raleigh, NC

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]