[TowerTalk] return loss

Michael Lamb n7ml@imt.net
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 11:59:06 -0600

----------
From: 	Tom Champlin[SMTP:w0hh@ix.netcom.com]
Sent: 	Monday, September 28, 1998 8:10 PM
To: 	towertalk
Subject: 	[TowerTalk] return loss

Hello Tom,

Congratulations on receiving one of the first CIA-HF's.  Return Loss is used by the commercial communications people instead of SWR because it is easier to resolve the antenna match when it is very good.  If you have a very poor match, you have a low Return Loss reading, meaning much of the power is reflected.  If you have a very good match, you might have a Return Loss of say 25 dB which means your returned power is 25 dB down from the transmitted power.

When measuring the loss in a piece of cable, you want to either leave the end open or have a very good short at the end.  You want to divide the Return Loss measurement by 2 and subtract the residual R/L the meter shows with no cable connected to get the actual loss in that particular cable for one direction.

73 and enjoy!
Mike, N7ML

Gentlemen,
Saturday I received my AEA CIA-HF, sn#0073 ver.1.3. Since then I have
been trying to familiarize myself with it. I'm getting "return loss"
figures in DB. Would someone be kind enough to tell me about this as I
only have a vague idea about it.
Thank you,
Tom, W0HH