[TowerTalk] antenna height and LOCATION

Bill Fisher - W4AN w4an@contesting.com
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 14:07:52 -0400 (EDT)

> N4 RJ was using 26' for his lowest stack on 10 with highest at 74'.   This
> antenna was a real door buster any direction on 10 (a stack of 4 Cushcraft
> 4el beams).

N4RJ did use a 4 high stack of 4 element Cushcraft 10's once.  We
decided that the performance of this stack was not up to snuff.  The same
was determined for the 4 high stack of 15's.

What we finally went to and was a KILLER system was a stack of K3LR 6
element yagis on 34 or 36 foot booms.  The stack was fed with large heliax
and was located very close to the shack.  The heights were 60 over 30 and
the antennas rotated together, always in phase.  This antenna allowed me
to work Europeans in to the late afternoon, and I would constantly get
reports like "you are the only station we are hearing".  This was never
the case on the 4 high stack or on the K3LR antennas when they were at 90'
over 45'.

On 15 meters we went to longer booms also.  The heights were 90 over 45.
This stack was also a killer.

73

Bill - W4AN - K4AAA