[TowerTalk] Wear on guy cable/tower

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 09:23:14 EST

In a message dated 99-04-01 08:29:53 EST, k9zm@frontiernet.net writes:

> These messages on 4 point guying reminded me that I have wanted to ask about
>  guy wires slowly wearing their way thru towers.  It was mentioned to loop
>  the guy wires around the tower leg at the proper height. (At least that is
>  how I took it)  With the flex in the tower will that wear thru the cable or
>  tower.  I have never seen damage from this so I can only assume that the
>  galvanize coating acts as a lubricant?

     I don't think the Rohn guy-attached-to-leg drawing has been in a Rohn
catalog in awhile so apparently it's not a factory recommended method anymore;
I couldn't find it in a 1985 catalog either. The drawing shows that the guy
goes over/through the diagonals as well as around the leg.

     If the guys are properly tensioned, there is so little movement that it
is a non-issue.

     The galvanizing is just a coating, not a lubricant.

>  In my situation, I opted to use a pointy top section with a Hazer setup on
>  Rohn 25G.  I have a anti-twist bracket and bars at 28'  and I put another
>  set of guys at the top by simply looping the guy wire and dropping it over
>  the point at 57'.  At the time I was simply trying to clear the Hazer when
>  it was cranked to the top.  The upper pulley bracket has a much stronger
>  mount on a pointy section and because of where the Hazer sits on the cross
>  legs on Rohn 25G, I was able to mount the first antenna at a lower height
on
>  the mast and still clear the tower.  There is very little movement in the
>  tower at 28'.  With the Hazer acting as a lever and with a Telrex TB6EM
(26'
>  boom & 85lbs), a Cushcraft 40m dipole and a 2m vert, cabling and a T2X,
>  there is a lot of movement at the top.  I was wondering about the guy
cables
>  sawing their way thru that top section.

      You've got a problem. Your top guys are not attached to the legs and
thus offer NO torque resistance. The tower's going to twist like crazy in the
wind. Is this a recommended method? NO. Is this fatal? Possibly. I would re-
think your installation to eliminate this problem.

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC