[TowerTalk] Tuning coax stubs w/ shack test equipment

Michael Tope W4EF@pacbell.net
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 04:38:39 +0100

Dick,

If you have a dummy load with a sampling port, substitute the
TS-950 for the MFJ oscillator - this is quick and dirty way of
turning your HF rig into a stable signal generator. Alternatively, you
can check the frequency calibration of the MFJ by using the
receiver in the TS950. Always tune for maximum stopband attenuation
(MFJ/DVM method) instead of passband VSWR (AEA method) or insertion
loss. The attenuation characteristics in the stopbands are generally
very sharp (high Q) while the passband characteristics are broad
(low Q), thus making the stopband attenuation measurement the most
accurate. A few inches of pruning may change the stopband attenuation
20dB while the passband VSWR and insertion loss hardly budge.

Good luck,

Mike, W4EF.........