[TowerTalk] Gin Pole Strength

Stan Griffiths w7ni@teleport.com
Fri, 02 Apr 1999 11:37:18 -0800

Hi Mike,

Here is what you are missing:  The gin pole has to support
TWICE the weight of
the load since the load pulls down on one side of the gin
pole and the rope you
are pulling on to raise the load is pulling down on the
other side of the gin
pole.  The gin pole sees both of these down pulls and has to
hold them BOTH, or
twice the weight of the load.

By using a block and tackle, you can reduce the pull on the
rope you are using
to lift the load.  If you use a 3 to 1 block and tackle, you
reduce the pulling
force to 1/3 of the weight and reduce the total load carried
by the gin pole.
Here is an example:

Supposing your big mast weights 200 pounds.  Pulling it up
with a normal gin
pole with nothing but a pully at the top means it must
support 400 pounds.  If
you use a block and tackle, you can cut the pulling force
down to 67 pounds and
the gin pole now has to support only 267 pounds instead of
400 pounds.
BIG difference . . .

I hope this is clear.  If not, please ask again.  This is
important.  Just
understanding this principle of pullys would have saved a
BUNCH of collapsed gin
poles in the past (and maybe some serious injuries, too).

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com