[TowerTalk] Re: Gin pole loading

Stan Griffiths w7ni@teleport.com
Tue, 06 Apr 1999 01:25:02 -0700

Hi Kurt,

Well, I got you to go part way with me at least.

If you use a double block at the top and a single block at the load, the load will be
supported by three strands of rope, each one supporting 1/3 of the total load.  If the
load is 200#, then each strand supports 67# and that is the tension in the rope.  The
same rope is used as a pull down rope and the tension in it must be 67#, too.  So,
therefore, on the load side of the gin pole, you have three strands of rope pulling
down with a force of 67# each for a total of 200# and on the pull down side of the gin
pole, you have only one strand with a tension of only 67# (same tension throughout the
entire length of the rope).

This is how the total force pulling down on the gin pole is only 267# instead of
400#.  The best thing to do here is get a double and a single pully and rig it and
measure it.

I absolutely guarentee it will come out as I have described (neglecting friction, of
course).

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com