[TowerTalk] Gin Pole Strength

Stan Griffiths w7ni@teleport.com
Tue, 06 Apr 1999 02:17:38 -0700

Hi Richard,

Welcome to this interesting discussion.  We are in agreement except where you
say the idea is not practical because you have to stop at your lowest connecting
point which, you say, is below the  top of the gin pole, on the tower.  Why not
make the attachment point of the rope at the TOP of the gin pole where the gin
pole pully is?  That way, you can pull the mast clear over the top of the tower
and enjoy the mechanical advantage all the way up.

Like I said in other posts, I use a double pully at the top and simply put the
double pully hook into the top of the gin pole.  I do not use the pully normally
found at the top of the gin pole at all when I use my block an tackle.   The end
of the rope that is tied is connected to the moveable single pully at the load.
You can pull on this system until the single pully hits the double pully and the
mast will be well over the top of the tower at that point.  I also use a special
heavy wall gin pole that is about 16 feet long.  I can set long and heavy masts
with this setup.  It is true that this requires a lot more rope and an
investment in pullys, but I have found it to be WELL worth it.  One of my ropes
is 450 feet long . . .

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com