[TowerTalk] Guy wire interaction - the devil is in the details

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 12:41:39 -0400

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999 17:22:05 -0400 "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
writes:

>Hi Dave,
>
>You are right. Virtually ALL charts ignore capacitance across the
>strain insulators, and the self-capacitance of the loop ends.
>
>Because of that, most non-resonant lengths listed are somewhat
>incorrect.

How incorrect?  My handy dandy hand held Wavetek LCR meter cant even read
that low when I just tried to measure a few minutes ago. The insulator is
a standard 502 with 1/4" guy grips.
Should I drag  the HP-4271B outside or is the actual C too low to be of
any concern except to stimulate discussion on the reflector?

I would also expect the loss of galvanized steel guy wire to have an
increasing absorbtion effect as frequency increases. Has that been
factored into the modeling programs?

Guy wire deterioates from the inside. That could have more of an ( long
term) effect on station performance than direct coupling to an antenna.
Short term problems could be guy failure if regular inspections are not
made.

73  Carl  KM1H

>> Hello to all concerned:
>> Wouldn't egg-insulated guys act sorta like a ccd antenna ... ?
>> What a modelling nightmare -- or is it?
>> -73- Dave, K3BHJ.
>

>73, Tom W8JI
>w8ji@contesting.com
>
>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]