[TowerTalk] tower installtion

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 10:56:01 EDT

In a message dated 99-04-09 08:17:33 EDT, bhester@armicro.com writes:

> Does anyone know of any manuals, instructional information, workshops, or
>  courses for training people for the installation of tower systems. (Rohn,
>  etc.).

       Yes - TowerTalk. I'm saying that only half-jokingly since it is a
GREAT resource and is the best alternative to training courses. There's no
such thing as a dumb question and 99% of the time you'll get some useful
answers.

      There are many classes and certifications for riggers but they're
primarily for lifting things and not tower construction per se. There is no
tower building certification that I'm aware of. The National Association of
Tower Erectors (NATE) is putting things together from that standpoint but
nothing's in place yet that I know of. Most tower guys learn on-the-job so my
best advice would be to get hooked up with someone that is knowledgeable and
start helping out.

      I have been promising a tower construction book and it's been in the
works for a couple of years but it's obviously behind schedule as there have
been some delays (sorry everyone!). Nonetheless I am determined to finish it
but can't commit to a date yet.

     I do have some reprints of draft chapters from the book and am willing
to send them out on specific requests. Also my Up The Tower column in CQ
Contest magazine addresses these topics on a regular basis. Reprints of those
are available also.

      A good question to TowerTalk is the best option for now.

>  Do any of the manufactures have certification courses?

      No. You can't imagine the liability exposure for them. Since insurance
is already their largest expense, they can't afford to increase it. This is
where NATE comes in and hopefully they'll be doing this in the future. For
right now, you're on your own.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech