[TowerTalk] Guy wire interaction - Murphy's in the details

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@qsl.net
Fri, 09 Apr 1999 20:18:59 GMT

>Using a HP-4271B and 1/4" grips I measure 1.24pf @  1MHz.
>Using an antique Tektronix 130 LC Meter I measure the same within a
>needle width on the 0-3pf scale.

Are we assuming that all these insulators are alike at RF? Since they
are manufactured en masse by umpteen manufacturers for power poles,
likely (??) without regard for RF characteristics, why should we
assume how they play at RF?

Isn't it basically bothersome to have two HP's giving such variant
answers to what seems a simple measurement.

Does the measured capacity stay constant 1 Mhz through 30 Mhz?

Also does it matter where one connects to the grips to measure
capacitance?

Guy.

73, Guy
--. .-..