[TowerTalk] Ground Rods

Bob Wanderer aa0cy@nwrain.com
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 20:30:22 -0700

This was pushed through by a company called Anchor Guard
in South Dakota (I think they're in Sioux Falls). They make
anodic and cathodic protection devices.

Allegedly, a tower or two came down because of corrosion
caused by dissimilar metals, specifically galvanized in the
guy wire anchor and copper ground rods in the ground system.
Per EIA/TIA 222-F ALL tower components must be galvanized
or aluminum or tinned: ground rods, ground wire/strap, guy wires
and anchors.

There seems to be "disputes" amongst the experts as to how close
the usual metals used in these applications (galvanized and copper)
can be before galvanic action occurs. The make up of the soil is
another factor and is often overlooked.

The problem I *personally* have is that they create one problem while
solving another. The pH of the soil can play havoc if you choose the
"wrong" metal. I would think that if the two metals are a good 20' apart,
interaction would be quite slow to occur. I am willing to bet that no one
inspected those towers and associated parts in a long, long time.

If your soil is acidic, go with galvanized and tinned/aluminum wire/strap.
Otherwise, copper based would be my choice. As a general rule, the
eastern part of this country tends to have acidic soil whereas the western
states tend more toward alkaline or neutral.

Nevertheless, you'll probably have a "more legal" situation by following
222-F regardless of the pH of the soil!

I find it "interesting" that a company making its $$ with dissimilar
metals "protection" is the power behind the throne to this revision.

73
Bob Wanderer AA0CY
former Senior Applications Engineer
PolyPhaser Corporation