[TowerTalk] MFJ tunable loop antennas

Jon, W4ZW w4zw@home.com
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 14:22:05 -0400

Used one during two contests while in Moscow since it was difficult to get
the proper permissions for an antenna on short notice.  Had just moved into
a new apartment on the 5th floor of a 10 story building.  Installed it on
the balcony railing and it worked great!  Of course only worked well in the
open direction which was West for me into Europe and NA.  As I remember I
worked about 600+ stations in that Test thought don't remember which one it
was.  Worked so well that we sold out of all the remaining ones we had in
the Radio Shack stores the next week because quite a few of the locals heard
me running stations with this tiny antenna.  Used one again in Colorado
during a month's summer vacation from Russia and it worked quite well for
what it is.  A dipole or vertical would be better if you have the room, but
the little loop sure surprised me.

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW
Casey Key Island, FL

"A little bit of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"

Does anyone have any experience using the MFJ 1782 or 1786 10-30 mhz loop
antennas? Feedback welcomed.

Lane Zeitler
Ku7i
San Diego