[TowerTalk] How do you remove guys to walk a beam up Rohn 25?

Bill Fisher - W4AN w4an@contesting.com
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 08:19:17 -0400 (EDT)

I think the advice given by Howard is very sound.  Obviously a much
safer routine.  I didn't mean for my message to be a "how to" message.
Just telling how it was done.  Personally, I try to stay off the tower if
anything big is coming up or down it.  Yes, it means a lot of trips up and
down the tower.  Luckily none of my towers are real tall.

I do now recall that they attached the come-a-long to the guy wire using a
preform instead of the juma.  Although they said either way would work, I
think the preform was safer.  The obvious failure point is the
come-a-long.  The ones we used were of the $170+ variety made of cast
aluminum.  These types are marketed to logging and rescue type people.  I
believe them to be quite safe.

Thanks again Howard!

73

Bill