[TowerTalk] Strumech BP60

John Cramond john@gm4nhi.demon.co.uk
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 08:24:30 +0100

In message <673c6106.2444ecad@aol.com>, VWhile@aol.com writes

>Hi,
>          I'm just about to purchase a Strumech BP60 (60ft telescope
>tiltover/post mount) for 'a song'....second hand but has NEVER been erected!!
>     On the question of maintenance of these towers/winches/pulley
>wires....should they be greased, applied with special grease as sold for 15
>UK pounds by Strumech or simply left alone??? Infact, ANY advice on general
>tower maintainence would be VERY useful!!
>
>  Any help MUCH appreciated....I'll be asking for advice on installation of
>this 'beast' in due course no doubt!!!
>
>                     Very Best,
>
>                        Vince    G6IQL
>
>From someone who spent 25 years maintaining cranes and winches on North
Sea oil platforms! Three golden rules when dealing with wire ropes:

a)
Keep the ropes under tension at all times. This helps to stop moisture
getting into the interior of the rope. Many people make the mistake of
leaving their towers sitting on the safety latch with the hoisting wire
slack. Not a good idea! Leave it just above the safety latch.

b)
Keep the wire rope well greased with a water proof grease. Calcium or
Lithium based grease is water proof. Avoid Natrium based grease
(normally used for lubricating ball bearings) as this grease mixes with
water! If you go to any motor cycle shop and ask for a spray tin of
chain grease you will find this grease is ideal and penetrates right
into the rope interior.

c)

Check the rope every six months for any signs of broken strands.

I will be changing the ropes on my tower this year but they have been on
the tower for the past ten years and show no sign at all of any
deterioration. Try winding up a 60 foot tower by hand without keeping
the sheaves greased and you will soon realize why greasing is a good
idea!
--
John Cramond - GM4NHI
<john@gm4nhi.demon.co.uk>