[TowerTalk] KLM Balun??

John Unger w4au@contesting.com
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 09:03:51 -0400

Hi Mike -

I took the KLM 4:1 balun on my KT-34A apart after the screw for the lead
attachment broke off inside the plastic pipe body. The balun is a very
simple design using two tubular ferrite rods and two pieces of #14 or #12
teflon insulated wire configured like I've seen either in the Handbook or
Antenna Book (can't remember where I saw the design...). I simply
repackaged the "guts" in a plastic box from Radio Shack, and it's been
working FB ever since. I've never measured the efficiency, but SWR was very
low when I checked it out with a dummy load after the rebuild. It seems to
be bullet proof at high power, too.

73 - John, W4AU