[TowerTalk] Ground Rods

Bob Wanderer aa0cy@nwrain.com
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 20:56:11 -0700

Clamping usually works, but it can eventually
work loose. Exothermic welding is really the
best way to go albeit expensive. Erico has
the CADWELD(TM) system and has a "one-shot"
product which would probably be most appropriate
for a ham radio project, although a club might want
to purchase the normal system for use by its members
just as when they purchase gin poles, climbing belts,
analyzers, etc.

If you are using dissimilar metals in your ground system
for whatever the reason, exothermic welding is the only
way to go.

73,
Bob AA0CY

----------
From:  Jim Marciniak[SMTP:n1rui@together.net]
Sent:  Friday, April 09, 1999 8:12 PM
To:  w7why@harborside.com
Cc:  towertalk@contesting.com
Subject:  Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rods

You need to use ground rods at least 8 feet long to be effective.

Your best bet is to look (I don't mean dig it up - just look at the material
used; it's thickness and so forth) at the ground rod at your electrical
service entrance (close to your electric meter) and match its quality.  You
should be able to buy rods and wire at an electric supply house locally.

Also, I wouldn't solder the wire to the rod - CLAMP it tightly using a
proper ground clamp, available at the same supply house.

Good Luck,

73,

Jim