[TowerTalk] Tower windload with trees blocking

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr@radio.org
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 09:48:56 -0400

On 4/13/99 10:27, km1h@juno.com at km1h@juno.com wrote:

>As a for instance I have 70-80' trees at my QTH. Just about anytime I
>climb the 180' tower I can start with almost dead calm at ground level
>all the way up to the treetops. About 20' above the trees the wind starts
>to become noticable and at 180' it is a definite factor. So much in fact
>that I have to add a few pounds of weight to a drop line.
>Once the line hits the treeline it goes straight down with the upper part
>in full sail effect.

Pilots notice this, too. I used to fly out of a small airport that was
surrounded by 50-80 foot trees. Once you got down below the treeline, any
crosswind correction you were holding had to change fast if you wanted to
stay lined up with the runway. We also had to contend with the wind
swirling around a large beolith (a rock mountain) about a mile and a half
away.

Even at a very clear airport, the wind tends to intensify as you ascend,
at least for altitudes up to around 500 AGL. (which is well above any
practical amatuer tower height)

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901