[TowerTalk] Finding the height of trees

Dale L. Martin kg5u@hal-pc.org
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 00:39:05 -0500

>....go out in your yard and place a yard stick on end...note the
time when
>its shadow is a yard long in the afternoon.

I tried that, but everytime I went to measure the shadow, it
disappeared.

I'm not very good at math, so will this work?

Go out at any time (preferably during daylight hours).  Place the
yardstick on end.  Mark where the end of the shadow is located on
the ground.  Measure the distance from the base of the yardstick
to the mark (here, you can simply lay the yardstick down and
measure the distance).

Measure the length of the shadow of the tree (in feet).

H(tree)(in feet) = 3/yardstick shadow length (in feet) * tree
shadow (in feet)

e.g.,
a yardstick makes a 2.35 ft long shadow.  A tree makes a 53 ft
long shadow.

HItree) = 3/2.35 * 53
H(tree) = 67.66 feet

I think that works.