[TowerTalk] rotor shelf

Robin Midgett rmidgett@edge.net
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 21:46:14 -0500

--=====================_112639121==_.ALT

Hi Mark,
I have a supply of SS U-bolts of the 1/4-20 variety which fit nicely around 25G
tower legs. They are a Chicago Hardware standard issue U-bolt. If you cannot
locate a source for Chicago Hardware in your area, I'll be happy to supply you
the quantity you need. I also have SS 1/4-20 lock nuts & Keps nuts.

At 12:17 PM 4/19/99 -0700, you wrote:

>Greetings Towertalkians,
>
> I began pre-assembling (on the ground) the top section of a Rohn 25
>tower I am installing soon. I am using standard sections with a flat
>top adaptor. I intend to install two rotor plates in the top section,
>one for a second thrust bearing (to aid with future rotor servicing)
>and one for the rotor itself.
> Big surprise when I found out that the rotor shelf/accessory shelf
>only fits in two places: 1) Joints between tower sections and 2)
>inside the top plate adaptor. In both cases, these are places where
>there is no bracing. I want to have my rotor about halfway down the
>section to give it a longer moment arm, and install the second
>bearing just above it. I don't want to waste 10 feet of good mast
>just to have the rotor down at the next section joint.
> After a little head scratching, I grabbed the hacksaw and made one
>triangular cutout in the center of each side of the shelf. This
>allowed the shelf to fit in the middle of the tower section, halfway
>between horizontal braces.
> Another surprise! the flange of the Rohn TB-3 is too large to fit in
>a location that is halfway between two horizontal braces. <jeez>
> More head scratching....
> Three more cutouts, one in each side of the shelf, off center, let
>me install the shelf just a few inches below a horizontal brace, and
>the TB-3 fits, as well. After drilling the hole pattern for it, of
>course.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you solve it?
>
>One more thing. The flat top adaptor (ordered from Texas Towers)
>apparently does not come with a set of bolts. Got to get an extra set.
> The U-bolts that came with the rotor shelves (and tower sections,
>for that matter) were thinly plated, not galvanized. They don't look
>like they could take exposure to the weather for long. I was thinking
>of replacing them with stainless versions.
> Will these parts benefit from cathodic protection from the existing
>galvanizing of the tower itself? Would I be wasting my money on
>replacements?
>
>Thanks for your comments,
>
>--...MARK_N1LO...--

>--

Robin E. Midgett KB4IDC EM66se
rmidgett@edge.net
1/2 of the Award Winning NT4L Rover Team
http://kq4tv.aprs.net/vhf/vhf.html
--=====================_112639121==_.ALT

I have a supply of SS U-bolts of the 1/4-20 variety which fit nicely
around 25G tower legs. They are a Chicago Hardware standard issue U-bolt.
If you cannot locate a source for Chicago Hardware in your area, I'll be
happy to supply you the quantity you need. I also have SS 1/4-20 lock
nuts &amp; Keps nuts.<br>
At 12:17 PM 4/19/99 -0700, you wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Greetings Towertalkians,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I began pre-assembling (on the ground) the top section of a Rohn 25
&gt;tower I am installing soon. I am using standard sections with a flat
&gt;top adaptor. I intend to install two rotor plates in the top section,
&gt;one for a second thrust bearing (to aid with future rotor servicing)
&gt;and one for the rotor itself.<br>
&gt; Big surprise when I found out that the rotor shelf/accessory shelf
&gt;only fits in two places: 1) Joints between tower sections and 2)
&gt;inside the top plate adaptor. In both cases, these are places where
&gt;there is no bracing. I want to have my rotor about halfway down the
&gt;section to give it a longer moment arm, and install the second <br>
&gt;bearing just above it. I don't want to waste 10 feet of good mast
&gt;just to have the rotor down at the next section joint.<br>
&gt; After a little head scratching, I grabbed the hacksaw and made one
&gt;triangular cutout in the center of each side of the shelf. This
&gt;allowed the shelf to fit in the middle of the tower section, halfway
&gt;between horizontal braces.<br>
&gt; Another surprise! the flange of the Rohn TB-3 is too large to fit in
&gt;a location that is halfway between two horizontal braces.
&lt;jeez&gt;<br>
&gt; More head scratching....<br>
&gt; Three more cutouts, one in each side of the shelf, off center, let
&gt;me install the shelf just a few inches below a horizontal brace, and
&gt;the TB-3 fits, as well. After drilling the hole pattern for it, of
&gt;course.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you solve it?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;One more thing. The flat top adaptor (ordered from Texas Towers)
&gt;apparently does not come with a set of bolts. Got to get an extra
set.<br>
&gt; The U-bolts that came with the rotor shelves (and tower sections,
&gt;for that matter) were thinly plated, not galvanized. They don't look
&gt;like they could take exposure to the weather for long. I was thinking
&gt;of replacing them with stainless versions.<br>
&gt; Will these parts benefit from cathodic protection from the existing
&gt;galvanizing of the tower itself? Would I be wasting my money on
&gt;replacements?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Thanks for your comments,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;--...MARK_N1LO...--<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;_______________________________________________________________<br>
&gt;Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit
&gt;<br>
&gt;--<br>
&gt;FAQ on
WWW:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&gt;Submissions:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
towertalk@contesting.com<br>
&gt;Administrative requests:&nbsp; towertalk-REQUEST@contesting.com<br>
&gt;Problems:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
owner-towertalk@contesting.com<br>
&gt;Search:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;