[TowerTalk] EHS cutting, and surplus

Steve Jackson stjackso@nortelnetworks.com
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 23:32:50 -0400

I'd like to thank each of the DOZENS of guys who wrote back with helpful
answers regarding the 5/16" EHS cutting issue.  I just haven't had the time
to respond personally to everyone, so please accept this lazy way of my
doing so.

What I ended up doing:

I had to get some stuff done today (Sunday), so no time to mail order any
tools.  I went to the Home Depot, where for only $20 I bought an air
powered, handheld die grinder.  I happen to already have 3" cutting wheels
and a 1/4" mandrel for such a thing.  This tool develops 10K RPM at 90 PSI.
My portable air tank holds just enough to make one cut!  For the places
where I can do so, I have several long air hoses, and run them back to shop
air in the garage.

I am going to buy the 4" electric grinder (Chicago Electric brand) from
Harbor Freight tomorrow.  No local retail Harbor Freight outlets here, but
it's only $20 for what looks like a mini cut-off tool, versus $60 for a
Makita version (and $100 for a Milwaukee) at Home Depot.  Nice, but I won't
use it that much.

I also decided to go all-Phillystran, as I invited Mr. Pythagoras to lunch
today.  (Climbing the tower while dragging 110' of 5/16" EHS, by myself,
turned out to be less fun than I imagined.  Not to mention trying to put on
a preform while up there.)   Mr. Pythagoras told me I only need 100' more
Philly-6700 than the 500' I already have.

When does Texas Towers open on Monday  ;-)  ??

Regards surplus:  I now have an extraordinary amount (several 100' plus
lengths, I should think) of guy cable - which I will give to any ham who
wants it for their own personal use.  It was somewhat used on a
decomissioned cell-phone tower, and is in very good condition.  Some 1/2",
lots of 5/16", and I think there's some smaller stuff too (but not as much).

Pick up only, can't ship, Chapel Hill NC, off I-40 about 25 mins. west of
Raleigh.

Again, thanks to all for the assist.

73 Steve KZ1X/4