[TowerTalk] EHS Question

Steve Maki steve@oakcom.com
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 19:33:08 -0400

notawc@juno.com wrote:

> > The only thing better, IMO, than good bolt cutters is good cable
> > cutters. Makes sense, eh?  Good cable cutters have one straight
> > and one curved cutting surface, and use a bypass shear type action,
> > rather than the anvil type cut of a bolt cutter.
> >
> > In practice, the only real advantage of the the pretty cut that
> > results from the cable cutter is that nicopress sleeves can be
> > slipped over the end very easily - not so with a cut made by a
> > bolt cutter.  If your termination method is anything other than
> > sleeves, you might as well use the cheaper bolt cutters.

> Not correct or maybe there is a confusion with terminology.
>
> Cable cutters as by your description are not used on guy wire to my
> knowledge in CATV. They are used by electricians and others for softer
> materials such as hardrawn copper, aluminum entrance cable and similar.
> Porter # 0290FCS for instance.
>
> Instead a Center Cut Bolt Clipper is the tool of choice.
> The one most specified in the CATV industry for EHS strand is the
> H.K.Porter model #0190MC which is applicable up to 5/16" EHS. The # 0090
> is good thru 1/4" EHS.
> The design features the cutting edge in the center of the blades with an
> equal bevel on either side which permits clean cuts ready for what ever
> dressing is required.
> The jaw blade assemblies are replaceable and the tool that was passed to
> me thru 3 generations ( Bought new by my great uncle who was a fireman)
> uses the same blades as the current model which features a smoother grip.

Perhaps I wasn't clear, but the cutters I have (ARM HSC-600 rated
for 3/16" EHS, ARM WR-14 rated for 3/8" EHS) are definitely rated
for EHS guy wire, and have each made hundreds of cuts and are still
like new with the original blades. I'm really not sure what the
manufacturer calls these tools, but in practice, they are 'steel
cable cutters', IMO.

They each have a flat squared off blade and a half circle opposing
blade which holds the cable in the center of the flat blade and
maintains the cables' round shape as it shears (or clips?) it off.

I'm sure there are various shaped tools designed for this task, but
to make the cut properly, they must hold the cable round, and use
a shearing action to make the cut.

73, Steve K8LX