[TowerTalk] TH6DXX and the TA-33

Lee Buller k0wa@southwind.net
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 13:38:00 -0500

Ok, here is another thread.  Just a comment or two concerning the TA-33 and
the TH6DXX.

For the last ten years or so, I've operated a TA-33.  Ok, it got the job
done, stayed in the air, and did not give me any trouble.  It is NOT a rock
crusher.  Also, the antenna started having high SWR and no resonate point
on 20 but it was OK on 15 and 10 meters.

About a year ago, I picked up a used TH6DXX for $150 bucks and the guy
threw in a complete rebuild kit which included all stainless steel
connectors, nuts, bolts and washers.

A couple of weeks ago, my buddies came over and said they were gonna put
the thing up.  So the did.....on my 60 foot tower

Come to find out the TA-33 had be struck by lighting.  I had a choke balun
made out of RG213 and that was "holed" by lighting.  None of the equipment
was damaged, but apparantly it was struck.  Now, I cannot really say that
that was the cause of the high SWR on 20....but it was an indication
something was really wrong with the installation.  I have yet to check all
the traps on the antenna as it is 106 degrees outside.

But, the guys put up the TH6DXX.  Now I have owned one of these before and
in my estimation they are an excellent antenna.  Far beyond the TA-33 in
front to back, side lobes, and angle of radiation.  That goes without
saying because it has a longer boom and various reflectors and directors
tuned to specific bands.  For being such and old design...it sure gets the
job done.  I spend all of Sunday evening working people over the
pole...things that I have not heard in years.

Good conditions...good antenna.  I hope MFJ does the right thing with HyGain.

Some comments and observations.

Lee Buller