[TowerTalk] $/db

alsopb alsopb@gloryroad.net
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 17:46:10 +0000

Guys,

It looks like many stations are pushing the
envelop on improvements that can be made to
achieve a better transimitted signal.  I'd like to
try and quantify what that "extra 2 db" might
cost.

I'd like to hear what station improvements you
would make to pick up extra db's.  The goal is to
identify the most cost-effective ones.
It is clear that this is probably band dependent.
It surely is station dependent.

Assume that you can run no more power.  All "gain"
has to come from the output of the amp to the
ether.  Assume only the HF bands and you're
primarily a DXer.

Examples might be:

1. Increase the number of radials on my 160 meter
inverted L from 8 to 60.  Gain estimate 2 db (via
less ground loss), cost = $1000  cost/db =$500

2. Replace my 10 meter antenna RG8 feedline (300')
with LMR600 .  Cost = $300, gain =2 db, cost/db =
$150.

3.  Raise my 40 meter dipole from 40 to 70'.
Estimated gain at 25 degree radiation angle = 3db,
cost =$100 (tree climber), cost/db = $33.

4. Match antennas better and get rid of antenna
tuner.  Cost = 0, gain = 1db.

Please give the old configuration and the proposed
improved configuration.

I think you get the idea.

I'll compile these with the hope that can help us
all identify incremental improvements that may be
useful at our station and what they might cost.

73 de Brian/K3KO