[TowerTalk] $/db

Tom Osborne w7why@harborside.com
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 19:26:46 -0700

alsopb wrote:

> 1. Increase the number of radials on my 160 meter
> inverted L from 8 to 60.  Gain estimate 2 db (via
> less ground loss), cost = $1000  cost/db =$500

Hi Brian

What in the heck kind of wire are you going to use, Gold??  I
just bought a roll of wire at a garage sale, about 5 pounds of
stainless steel wire, looks like nr. 20 for $4.00.  It is what is
used here in Coos Bay for knitting crab pots.  There are sources
out there for wire that will cost a heck of a lot less than
$1000. When I first put my inverted "L" and 40 meter verticals up
I used electric fence wire.  It was cheap, but after a few years,
it corroded away.  Most of it is just rust now.  I probably have
in the neighborhood of 1 mile of wire scattered around the "back
40" now, and most of it has been picked up by scrounging.  I got
a cable from work, 130 feet long, 36 wires of nr. 16 insulated in
it just for hauling it away.  Check around with your scrap
dealers and electrical dealers.  Sometimes you can pick up wire
just for the cost of the copper per pound.  73 and GL
Tom W7WHY