[TowerTalk] Lightning 'porcupines' & rods

Bob Wanderer aa0cy@nwrain.com
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 10:00:22 -0700

Contact PolyPhaser or Steve at DavisRF, they'll
give you the straight answer (basically, it's balderdash).
and why.  Poly used to have a free video showing one
of these porcupines taking a hit (just as the camera
itself goes down) at the Tampa airport as the FAA was
obviously interested in this device and extensively tested it.

Poly has an 800 # but I don't remember it so I'd rather not guess.
If you call 800-555-1212, they can give you the #.  PolyPhaser is
located in Minden, Nevada.

73,
Bob AA0CY
former PolyPhaser Engineer

----------
From:  Brian Smithson[SMTP:brian_smithson@vds.com]
Sent:  Wednesday, August 18, 1999 5:14 AM
To:  towertalk@contesting.com
Subject:  [TowerTalk] Lightning 'porcupines' & rods

I've seen several posts in the past praising the virtues
of 'porcupines' to 'drain off charge' before a strike can
occur. I've also seen at least as many claim it is all
bunk. I must admit it seems reasonable, but not if a
lightning rod 'attracts' strikes. I have no background
here - just a software guy! Does anyone know where
I can find out about any studies, etc. to what the
scoop is?

-Brian n8wrl