[TowerTalk] Tic ring assembly tips?

Barry Kutner w2up@mindspring.com
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 19:41:48 -0000

Hi Kirk and all,

Your experience with the TIC ring reminds me of my experience
with a Buick I inherited when marrying my wife :.) I considered
pushing it off the top of Mt. Washington when I lived in NH, but sold
it to a dealer instead...

My first TIC ring is a 1993 vintage. There were some initial
installation problems with a few holes drilled 1/4 inch off center in
the tower mounting brackets, causing the ring gear to slip out from
the motor gear.  Flipping the tower mounting brackets over did the
trick. Also, I had to replace an intermittent direction indicating pot
once. Other than that, Ring number 1 has worked like a champ
since installation.

Ring number 2, vintage 8/99 (marked 1022D), was just installed
last week, and the antenna is going up tomorrow. Assembly was a
bit easier than the first one. A few holes were a bit tight, probably
from the galvanizing. Nothing a file and a little banging on the bolt
didn't fix. Also, there are a number of changes in the ring design
including additional bearings to support and hold the ring in place,
as well as additional supports for the boom cradle.  The gear that
turns the ring has bigger teeth, too.  Calling it sturdy is an
understatement.  It arrived in two boxes - box 1 contained the
motor and the indicator. Box 2 had everything else and was
weighed in at 87 lbs by UPS! The controller looks identical to the
1993 controller, with an analog indicator, preset knob, start button,
and on/off switch. The controller box itself is about 1/2 inch longer
from front to back, otherwise identical.

TIC makes a unique product, and Carl at TIC has always been very
helpful and pleasant.  He seems to keep his word a little better
than his son, Todd, who is no longer with the company. I would
have no hesitation buying another one.

Regarding the reflector, my vote is to discuss TIC-related issues on
Towertalk. It is a tower-related product.  Towertalk has many more
subscribers, and discussion here may also be beneficial in
introducing the product to those who are not familiar with the TIC
ring (and we do want TIC to stay in business, in case we do need
support).
73 Barry

Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com