[TowerTalk] Thrust Bearings

Phil Clements philk5pc@tyler.net
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 22:35:47 -0500

Good morning, Mohammad,
A thrust bearing mounts on a rotor plate above the rotor, or at the
top of a flat-top tower. It has ball bearings inside and set screws to tighten
into the mast. This makes the mast much easier to turn. (much less friction)
Most importantly, it removes all of the weight of the mast and antenna system
from the rotor. The rotor can be removed for service/replacement without moving
the mast. We who are using long masts and several antennas use two plates
and bearings several feet apart to keep the mast perfectly aligned at the rotor
in high winds.

Best DX!
(((73)))
Phil, K5PC