[TowerTalk] Thanks for input

k6ll@juno.com k6ll@juno.com
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 09:53:07 -0600

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999 09:54:01 -0400 Nat Davis <ndavis@vt.edu> writes:

>-- 	Antenna choice:  I am space and money impaired!  My friend
>with the
>tower sections is willing to part with his Hy-gain TH-2 (being
>replaced by
>a C4 -- showoff!).  It has appeal due to its small size (6' boom) and
>cost
>(great to have friends!).  However, what I put up will likely be
>"the"
>antenna for a long time.  In that sense, I am wondering if I should
>not
>step up to a little more antenna.  I read the recent thread comparing
>the
>small 3-element beams (TA33, TH3, A3S).  An alternative, the TA33-JR
>seems
>a good fit for me -- same general specs as the TA33 but lower power
>rating.
> Since I do not see an amp in my future, is this a reasonable antenna
>(or
>the others, for that matter)?  Any alternative suggestions?  I wish I
>could
>afford a Force Cxx antenna but the budget and neighbors would not
>look
>kindly on that!

Wayne Overbeck, N6NB, ran a series of comparison tests on
various yagis vs. quads many years ago. The results were
published in a national ham radio magazine, "Ham Radio,"
I believe.

One of the findings that I still remember was the surprisingly
strong performance of the Hy-Gain TH-2.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
San Diego, CA
K6LL@juno.com