[TowerTalk] Inspecting tower sections

Jim Idelson k1ir@designet.com
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 12:03:41 -0500

Mark,

The hot dip galvanizing process, if not done correctly, can leave excess material in bad places. The worst situation I ever encountered was when this material pooled inside the legs near the bolt holes. Sections were no longer able to fit inside one another. I had to use a power grinder to make the hole big enough. this would certainly qualify as a manufacturing defect if it came with a new section. My experience was with used sections that had been regalvanized by a local hot dip shop. They didn't drain the legs properly.

Despite this problem, I can still highly recommend rejuvenating older sections with a new hot dip. It is not that expensive if you transport the stuff yourself, and it really does turn the clock back. Of course, sections that are not structurally sound do not benefit from regalvanizing. Just give them good instructions on draining the material from inside the legs.

Jim K1IR