[TowerTalk] Feeding tower on 80

K4SB k4sb@mindspring.com
Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:13:46 +0000

K7GCO@aol.com wrote:
>    Use the Omega Match which is a gamma with another variable
> capacitor directly across the coax to ground.  With this match the length
> of the gamma is not critical.  Make a weather tight box for variables.
> K7gco

Well, not quite. The length of the gamma rod still must be within
a specific
boundry. The use of the Omega capacitor serves only to
"electrically" vary the
length of the gamma, while the gamma cap serves to cancel the
reactance of the
gamma rod.

Overall, good idea though. And while you're at it, may I suggest
that RG8 at
about 29pf per foot, and rated at 4000 volts, makes a very nice
capacitor which may be rolled up and weatherproofed.

73

Ed