[TowerTalk] Three Lightning Protection Clarifications Please?

Eric Gustafson n7cl@mmsi.com
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 17:23:51 -0700

Hi Bob,

I have no serious disagreement with your post.  But I think it
points up the necessity for me to clarify some of my statements.
And I do have a comment or two.  See below.

73, Eric  N7CL

>From: Bob Wanderer <aa0cy@nwrain.com>
>Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 14:39:47 -0800
>
>I agree with most of Eric's comments.  But The Megger(TM) and
>equivalent devices test at around 100~400 Hz so the values they
>get are valid for power company concerns, but not necessarily
>for lightning ground concerns.

Actually, the "megger" or earth resistance tester measurement is
to determine the quality of the earth electrode connection to
_Earth_ at the electrode / Earth interface for both power system,
telco, and lightning fault purposes.  The RF or time domain
considerations associated with a lightning fault are mostly a
concern for the other components (and the design) of the
grounding system.

The only important consideration about what frequency is used to
make this measurement is that it not be an integer harmonic of
the local power line frequency and that the measurement frequency
is low enough to avoid reactance effects in the long leads
required to make the measurement properly.  If not for the
electrolytic nature of the earth material, it could be done at
DC.  My tester runs at somewere near 800 Hz.  The exact frequency
was selected to avoid interference from both 50 and 60 Hz
powerline frequencies.

The earth connection resistance is what it is.  Talking about its
bandwidth is somewhat like talking about the bandwidth of the
bulk resistive material in a dummy load.  Its bandwidth is more
than adequate to take care of sinking the required charge in the
required amount of time.  Interconnection inductances in the
remainder of the system and the topology of the interconnect
scheme determines how successfully the system deals with the
short time scale (or high frequency) components of a lightning
fault event.

>Nevertheless, if the values gotten are 10-Ohms or less (and
>preferably 5-Ohms or less), for all intents and purposes, you
>have a good ground system.  Realize that the Megger(TM) system
>can be used both for analyzing a ground system (or a rod within
>that system) as well as for how good (conductive) the earth in
>that region is prior to creating the ground system.

Yup.  But I like to get ground systems for structures that I
_KNOW_ are going to be struck (hilltop towers, etc.) down into
the one to two ohm region.  Five ohms maximum is pretty much the
accepted standard.

>In addition to GEM (rather pricey),

I don't find that GEM is all that pricey.  I think the last batch
I priced was well under a buck a pound in 50 pound bags.  This
was for a very small quantity of product.

>you can try coke breeze.  This is a by-product of burning coke.
>I know of one source in Utah (Christensen Bros [forgot the
>town]), but am sure there are others.  Fluor-Daniel analyuzed
>several conductivity enhancement schemes and judged coke breeze
>as provifding the best bang for the buck.

My experience with coke breeze as a substitute for GEM leads me
to believe that F-D was more concerned with buck than bang when
they made that determination.

>I am not sure I would recommend a Ufer ground over a good ground
>system; for sure, a Ufer ground should not be your sole ground.

Nor would I.

I was specifically suggesting its use only as a means to further
reduce the earth connection resistance of an existing service
entry point ground which already had a ground rod at the entry
point.  Even if the UFER is used, it would presumably _not_ be
the only component of the lightning protection ground system.
Even if a UFER ground was properly planned for and installed in
the concrete pour for the structure at the time of construction,
it could not (at least _should_ not) be used without an external
ground rod.

But for the rest of the grounding scheme to have much of a chance
of working properly to protect the station, it is important for
the service entry ground connection to earth to be of high
quality.  Particularly if it is to be used (correctly) as the
single point ground for all of the conductive entry into the
structure.

>Have fun.

AMEN!