[TowerTalk] Three Lightning Protection Clarifications Please?

DavidC DavidC" <eDoc@netzero.net
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 10:35:25 -0500

> David, how far is your tower from the shack?

About 60-65 feet.

> I wonder about whether the tower ground should be connected to your
> house ground with something other than the shield of your coax cable(s).
> My thought is that if your tower is located a ways from the shack then as
> a charged cloud moves overhead (or if lightning strikes) the ground
potentials
> at the tower ground and the shack ground will be different. This will
cause
> current flow between the two and it'll take the least resistance path
which
> will be down the shield of your coax cables. It seems like it would be
better
> to keep everything more or less at the same potential by connecting both
> grounds together with some heavy wire/cable/strap, and placing ground rods
> between the tower and shack.  That way most of the current (either from
charge
> build up or during a lightning strike) flows along the ground cable
instead of on
> your coax.

Sure would make things more costly and more of a hassle.  Four more ground
rods at $10. each (Lowes), 60-65 feet more 0/0 or 0/2 wire, 60-65 feet more
trenching (though it is sandy here).

> Bob and I have gone round and round on this. He thinks it's a waste of
money,
> I'm not so sure. Does anybody else on this list have a strong opinion one
> way or another about this?  thanks,  Dave  K0QE

Just when I thought things had been simplified ... ;-)

I await the collective wisdom re. your proposal ... 73, DavidC  K1YP