[TowerTalk] Cross Arms

Lee Buller k0wa@southwind.net
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 14:15:41 -0600

Here in Southcentral Kansas, we had a very wet 10" snow about a week ago,
The TH6DXX and the Rohn 25G came through OK....but my 160 meter L did not.

I am using a cross-arm at the top of the tower (just under the rotor).  I
cannot remember what you call this stuff exactly, but you can get it at any
hardware store.  It is used to install garage door openers and window
air-conditions.  It is angle-iron with pre-stamped-drill holes.  It is
pretty good to mount on the 25G because the holes match great.

But, the dog-on thing bent under the weight of the snow on the horizontal
part of the 160 Inverted L.  Yes, there was about 4 inches surrounding the
wire and the parachute cord which was tied to an old elm tree that shed
about 15 percent of all its limbs in the snow.

Question....  What do you use for a STRONG cross arm?

Lee Buller
k0wa@southwind.net