[TowerTalk] Tower ID help pls.

Don Moman ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 19:24:47 -0700 (MST)

Hi Peter;

I have one "AllWeld" tower but it is an L&R product. At least that's how
some of the guys in the "business" call it.  Uses 120 deg angles for legs
, and regular angle stock for X braces.  The Advance stuff I have is all
solid steel rod construction - very nice stuff BTW - and of course is all
welded construction.

While I don't know for sure, I "thought" Advance was still around - I
believe many of the towers that CN or CP use by the railroads are these
type. Small base, considering their height, but very sturdy. I've seen
them with two 8 bay VHFs (on at top, one just down a bit) at about the
height you mention, so they are capable of supporting quite a load. But I
have no real numbers to offer...

73 Don
VE6JY

On Sat, 11 Dec 1999, Peter Larsen wrote:

> Hi All:
> The local DX club has a chance to get a 150 foot Advance
> Industries "Allweld" self supporting tower for free.
> It is still standing, but will be coming down in the next week.
> It has a 57 inch face on the bottom section and is tapered
> to the top.
> Now I know Advanced when "face down" in the 80s, does any one
> have any idea where I could find info on wind loading on this
> tower, or any other info?
> Any and all comments will be appreciated.
>
> --
>  Peter J. Larsen
>  VE6YC  DO21wc
>
> > If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
>
> --

VE6JY  Don Moman               email: ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Box 127 Lamont, Alberta        email forwarding: ve6jy@rac.ca
CANADA  T0B 2R0