[TowerTalk] entrance panels for grounding

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 10:14:04 -0600

The N4AR antenna farm (lots of towers, antennas, and high wires)
collects a lot of lightning.  Bill religously grounded his antennas
and radios and would still find fuses blown in the equipment.

When he floated his radios (no antenna or AC connections)
the blown fuse problem went away.

de  Tom  N4KG

On Thu, 23 Dec 1999 21:11:11 -0600 Ed - K0iL <k0il@mitec.net> writes:

> On Tuesday, 21 December, 1999 7:56 AM, Mark .
> [SMTP:n1lo@hotmail.com]
> wrote:
> > 4) Isolation of hamshack gear from ground when not operating.
> >
> > 2) Tie in the panel to the electrical service and tower ground
> system
> > (single point) with a low impedance conductor, such as copper pipe
> or
> wide
> > strap.
>
> I would think you'd want the equipment chassis  to remain grounded.
> That
> way the equipment and AC ground is the same potential at all times,
> and a
> local rise in potential won't result in surge into the AC power cord
>
> feeding the unground "floating" equipment.
>
> If you isolate the equipment from ground, you should also unplug
> every AC
> power cord to prevent the above type of surge from happening.  Of
> course a
> good surge arrester would help, but I'd think that grounded
> equipment would
> reduce the need to rely on the suppressor.  Wouldn't it?
>
> 73,
> de ed -K0iL
>

> --
> FAQ on WWW: