[TowerTalk] Installing telephone poles

Terry A. Cox tacox@concentric.net
Sun, 26 Dec 1999 15:52:07 -0600

I had a 30' telephone pole I used for a raised guy anchor point at my old
residence.  I had 5' in the ground with the hole approximately twice the
diameter of the pole.  Once the pole was in the hole and aligned, I poured 1'
of concrete in the bottom.  Once that cured, I filled the hole with 3' of
packed dirt and then poured another foot of concrete to fill the hole.  This
was a very steady setup, until, after 3-4 years, the pole rotted off at the
top of the concrete!  This was a creosoted pole, and I was suprised that it
rotted so soon.  I figure the concrete must have retained moisture that
eventually rotted the pole.

Good luck with your project, Kris.

--
Terry A. Cox - KB4KA - Collierville, TN