[TowerTalk] Antenna Tuner design

Dick Green Dick Green" <dick.green@valley.net
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 17:39:55 -0500

>Beyond the differences of the 2060 having an in-out switch, metering, and
>components that allow the unit to go to 160 meters, there is another
>difference.

In-out switch? My 2060 doesn't have one. It just has a three position
swith -- bypass, coax 1 and coax 2. Bypass goes directly to a dedicated
SO-239 on the back. The manual says that jack is for connecting a dummy
load. The other two go through the tuner to their respective SO-239 jacks.
All in all, it's a pretty silly design because it doesn't allow for use of
both resonant and non-resonant antennas on one feed line (e.g., using a
remote switch) or use of an antenna that's resonant in some portions of the
band but not others (e.g., an 80M dipole.) I have to recable when I want to
tune my 80M vee for the phone band (that's the only band where I don't have
a resonant antenna.) Were there different versions of this tuner with and
without the in-out switch or was your unit modified? I sure wish my tuner
had that in-out switch!

73, Dick, WC1M