[TowerTalk] temp guys

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 10:35:57 EST

In a message dated 99-02-05 01:09:48 EST, designserv@ipass.net writes:

> > I dunno, but on my Rohn 25, I wished I had the temps, particularly when I
>  > was working on attaching the 60-70 feet section with the only set of guys
>  > down at 31 feet.  The long-period sway from just three unguyed sections
> was
>  > scarey, whether or not it was structurally risky.
>
>  I agree with you, Pete.  I think three sections of unguyed Rohn 25 is
> pushing
>  your luck and 4 is a no-no for me.

      Rohn specs allow 1.5 sq.ft. of 25G @ 70 MPH (20 psf wind force) for a
height of free-standing 40 feet. The inference is that at little or no wind
the tower has MORE than adequate ability to hold a climber or two during
construction at that height.

      Yes, there is some 'pucker factor' involved. It's like climbing a mast -
it's the ability to do these tasks that separate the 'professionals' from the
'amateurs'.

     Not very many people are comfortable doing these kinds of tasks. Climbing
and working on a tower is 90% mental. If you're psyched out and uncomfortable
- that's fine, you know where your limit is.

       This isn't too confuse professional capability with 'crazy', though.
I've heard of non-professionals doing some pretty crazy stuff that NO
professionnal would touch.

       BTW, I "have safety belt - will travel" if anyone is looking for
someone to do professional tower work. I've worked on over 125 amateur
stations and many commercial sites.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech
425-485-7913