[TowerTalk] Climbing belt Rings

Shane Dugas shane@eatel.net
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 08:17:02 -0600 (CST)

At 07:50 AM 2/10/99 -0700, you wrote:

>Serious climbers wouldn't be caught dead (or alive) using a tower
>climbing belt for climbing. A real climbing harness has zero leather,
>and no d-rings or latches to fail or come undone. Personally, tower
>belts scare the heck out of me, and I can only imagine that the people
>using them for a living don't know that there's better equipment out
>there. Go to any mountaineering store and check out the climbing
>harnesses. You'll see the difference right away.
>
>--Dave
>K0QE

I totally agree Dave.  I could only imagine the pain taken from a fall
wearing a belt.  You may not hit the ground if your wearing one but you may
not walk again either.  Buy your tools from a tool company not your life
saftey products.  You can purchase a very good class II harness for about
the same price as a good leather belt.  I personally prefer to wear a full
body class III harness. (This is not a fall arrest harness).  There are
usually at least 4 points of attachment on these harnesses.  These are the
ratings that you want to look for when purchasing a harness.

There IS much better equipment out there.  A good source for a wide range of
equipment suitable for tower work is

The California Mountain Company
CMC
1-800-235-5741