[TowerTalk] Problems with YAESU Rotor

Jeff Singer k2kv@reallybig.com
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 17:56:45 -0500

I've never had a problem with Yaesu backing up ANY product! I've dealt with
numerous manufacturers over the years, and Yaesu warranty and repair
priorities have, in fact,  been far superior to the others.

After two or three years, my second-hand 'MP started having problems. I
called Yaesu and they told me to send it in. Two weeks later it was back in
the shack, all repairs and upgrades were complimentary, as was the shipping,
and when I called to thank them, they were pleased as peach to have
accommodated me. Works great now. Can't say Kenwood was ever so generous
with me.

With regard to Yaesu rotors, I have both the G1000 & G2700, and neither have
ever failed. The 1000 arrived with an open power wire in the box which I
easily repaired. It turned an 'XA and 2-el 40m for two years, while the 2700
has been turning a KLM 4-el 40m and KT34XA for the last couple of years as
well. Never a snag. Located on Long Island, NY, less than two miles from the
water. Once, I blew a chip in the control box, cost me $50; another time
(while under warranty) the power switch became buggy, was no charge.

Oh sure, the clamps can't even squeeze a banana out of its peel, so with
these antennas you need to pin the masts with stainless steel bolts. This is
fairly common knowledge, and a small compromise. Although many would advise
against this, preferring instead to watch their antennas spin like
helicopter blades in the wind, this technique has never caused any damage at
this station, and gives me fewer reasons to climb the towers.

73/Jeff K2KV