[TowerTalk] Problems with YAESU Rotor

Andy Wallace andywallace@home.com
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 06:28:20 -0600

Related question that hopefully will not sound dumb. It is my
understanding that the most dangerous high wind force on a beam mounted
on a tower is a twisting force as opposed to simply blowing the tower
over. If this is so, why don't all rotors have some sort of a clutch that
will let the beam freewheel when the twisting force gets sufficiently
high? Seems like it might save a lot of rotors, beams and not a few
towers. I have a relatively small Yaesu rotor--I would much rather
replace it then the beam and/ or the tower if I get hit with a very high
wind.

Andy   K5VM