[TowerTalk] Problems with YAESU Rotor

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 11:52:57 EST

In a message dated 99-02-15 11:34:41 EST, dshoaf@Mondobaking.com writes:

> Wow, after reading all of these issues with the Yaesu rotor, I must be the
>  1 in a million lucky one.
>  About 2 1/2-3 yrs ago, I purchased a G-1000SDX Yaesu Rotor from Okla. Comm.
>  Center.  It is mounted on a 50 ft tower & turning a 2 element, 4 band Quad
>  ever since.  I have yet to have any problems with it.

     It seems like most of the posts about Yaesu rotator problems had to do
with the G-800. The comments about other (and bigger) Yaesus seem to be
better.

     I usually figure the service life of a rotator is 6-8 years; any more and
you are lucky. I never re-install a used rotator unless someone has been
through it, checked it out and re-lubed it. The rotor is the weak link in the
system so no sense taking a chance on a used one. Same thing goes for one
purchased at a hamfest.

> When I was talking
>  to the salesmen there, I wanted to buy the T2X tailtwister and he highly
>  recommended that I go with Yaesu.  Sez to me, "Yaesu technology is 10 yrs
>  ahead of Hy-gain & rest of the rotors out there".

     Hmm. These are electro-mechanical devices with analog control units. The
technology is the same - they're just different designs. The superiority of
the Hy-Gain mast clamps and steel plates/U-bolts compared to the weak aluminum
Yaesu clamps is well documented. With their solenoid-operated brakes, I've
very rarely seen  the transmission ground up like Yaesu owners have described.

> Whether or not it is, I
>  don't know..  All I know is that mine has been trouble free.  Perhaps I
>  should count my blessings.?

      Yes, but you've still got 3-5 years of service life left.

       I have a reprint of my 3-part series on rotators that appeared in my
"Up The Tower" column in CQ Contest magazine for anyone interested in more
information. It's a buck from Tower Tech, Box 572, Woodinville, WA, 98072.

Cheers,  Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech
Champion Radio Products